This past two years have been life changing for me. First, I went back to school to get my RN degree. (Something I have wanted to do before turning forty- did it!) I actually went to a pilot program at Stevens Henager College. It was a tough program-very fast paced. Because it was a new program, we had crazy clinical times.(e.g. 4pm to 4am starting Saturday evening) I actually had to sleep in Scott's truck several times in the parking lot in front of McKay because I was scheduled to work in the main OR on Sunday morning starting at 7am. Thank heavens for sleeping bags that rate -can be used to 32 degrees F- because several mornings it snowed. I made some great friends and together we help each other through.
The second thing was to leave the Surgical Center and work in the Main OR. I had worked at the surgical center since I got married. (14 years) In fact, I started there one week after getting married to Scott. After years of assisting with very simple surgeries- tonsillectomies, podiatry cases, cataract removals, etc.- I was thrown in to a world of fractured hips, fractured femurs, huge bowel cases, gunshot wounds, etc. BIG difference to what I was use too.
But these changes were what I had needed and did not realize it. I've gained alot of confidence in myself, realized it was okay to step away from my comfort zone, with hard work I can do many things and there is work outside the Surgical Center that is just as fun. I love my role as a RN in the operating room- I still assist with surgeries at times, and I have made many, many new friends at the Main OR.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment